A couple weeks ago I made my first trip to Shanghai, China. Let’s just say it was a VERY interesting trip. If you’ve ever been to Shanghai or for that matter, China, you can certainly relate to some of the things. Enjoy!
1) Hearing the ‘I’m about to spit sound’ will always gross you out.
Chinese people spit everywhere and all the time. It will be one of the most terrifying sounds you’ll hear.
2) Walking out of your apartment into the smog is never pleasant
The smog is unlike anything you’ve ever experienced. There is a reason why everyone has masks.
3) Eating your first xiaolongbao will blow your mind
Eat these delicious soup dumpings…NOW
4) When you get an amazing deal at a shop
Bargain shopping is everywhere.
5) When you get surrounded by people trying to sell you stuff. You’re just like…
Bargain shopping is everywhere and people are aggressive
6) Walking the streets and hearing the people talk to each other is like…
It always sounds like they are yelling at each other
7) Seeing a baby pee in a trashcan
Babies have slits in their butt of their pants so they can “do their thing”. Seeing a baby pee in a trashcan. I’m like…
8) Getting a traditional Chinese massage for the first time
It sounds nice in theory.. but, it’s pretty much just a woman hitting you.
9) However, a foot massage is like…
Foot massages are very common in China. Especially nice after a lot of walking!
10) After realizing you actually got ripped-off at a bargain market
11) Realizing you can’t check your Facebook without a VPN
When someone tells you that Facebook is blocked and can only be accessed with a VPN, you’re like.. what? What’s a VPN?
12) Seeing your cab driver miss killing like 10 people on the street
There are a lot of people that just walk on the streets in Shanghai. It’s amazing how these cab drivers avoid running someone over!
13) When your friend informs you of what stange thing you just ate
Cow intestines? Bees? Random organs? Probably.
14) When you’re on a packed bus and you feel someone right behind you
15) Realizing you can buy a meal for $1-4 and be really full
Food here is really cheap. Like REALLY cheap if you know where to eat.
16) Crossing the street is like dodging bullets
So many scooters and cars!!
17) Hitting the clubs after midnight
Shanghai clubs don’t get popular till much later in the night, unlike in the USA.
18) Walking into the metro during rush hour
If you thought your city was bad, Shanghai is worst. It’s EXTREMELY packed with people all trying to rush to get into the train.
19) Walking into the bathroom and seeing your first squatter…
More traditional Chinese buildings will feature a lovely squatter instead of a sit down toilet. Apparently it’s better for your health.
20) When in doubt, just use the excuse.. “It’s China.”
Sometimes you won’t understand the customs. If that’s the case… just come to accept it. It’s China!
Hope you all liked this article. If you did, be sure to share it with your friends! What did you learn in China that shocked you? Let us know in the comments below.